Individuals applying for degree programs must meet certain standards. These admission requirements are outlined by program:
Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
Some Characteristics of the UFred EMBA Applicant
Prior Educational Attainment
UFred encourages mature career oriented individuals with diverse academic disciplines and backgrounds to apply to our EMBA program. An undergraduate Bachelor degree or recognized equivalent from an approved or accredited institution of higher education is preferred; however, we do recognize that some individuals without an undergraduate degree often have other educational and/or experiential qualities that merit special consideration in the admissions process (see Admission Requirements below).
Employment and Career Experiences
Individuals representing an array of personal and professional experiences are selected for the program as an intended diversification component as participation in the active and live online “vclass” sessions often generate challenges to the status quo, and add important value to the learning environment experience and the individual course subjects.
Attributes and Aspirations
Selected applicants into the UFred EMBA program demonstrate managerial and leadership potential, maturity, a personal devotion to learning, a team and collaborative spirit, and ethical integrity. These characteristics are assessed based on professional experience, civic activities, personal interests, endorsement of the University’s Honour Code, and clearly written submissions.
EMBA Admission Requirements
All admission determinations are based on the recommendations of the Admissions Review Committee and an official decision rendered by the Dean of the Sandermoen School of Business. The Admissions Review Committee reviews each EMBA program applicant’s academic and work history, with special consideration given to individuals with strong professional development records. Individuals seeking to be directly admitted to the EMBA program must first meet the following minimum admission requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized and accredited university with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale*;
- Five years of full-time employment, preferably with two years of management experience, that collectively provide strong evidence of the potential to work successfully at the middle or senior management level;
- Proficiency in English language communication (oral and written)**;
- Applicants who do not possess an undergraduate degree, but who have had significant training and/or relevant professional experience, have demonstrated potential for senior management, and/or otherwise possess demonstrable knowledge or expertise that would prepare them adequately for successful study in a specific graduate program may be granted admission and initially classified as “Pre-EMBA” students until they have successfully passed the asynchronous (self-paced online) bridging courses in business communication, accounting and in finance.*** (Upon satisfactory completion of the necessary bridging courses the student will be reclassified and enrolled as “Conditional” until he/she has completed the first three EMBA courses with at least a “B” grade earned in each course.)
*International applicants must be qualified for university or college admission in their home countries. Transcripts must show a superior performance on the basis of the country’s grading scheme. All records in a foreign language must include copies of the originals accompanied by certified English translations. **An English proficiency examination and oral interview may be required if the applicant’s undergraduate degree was not delivered in English, or if an applicant’s occupational experience was conducted in a non-English communication business environment. An applicant must achieve a score of 550 or better on the TOEFL test (213 for the computer-based test), or a score of 6.5 on the IELTS. ***Individuals providing an official university transcript indicating passage of a standard course in accounting and/or finance will be waived from taking one or both of those bridging courses.
EMBA Application Components
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- A completed online application form;
- A letter of application which highlights personal employment history/achievements, professional and/or civic involvement outside the work environment, commitment and motivation for an EMBA, and strengths that one feels they could contribute as a student to the EMBA program. Click here to view an example;
- An official transcript(s) of all college, undergraduate and graduate level courses sent in a sealed envelope directly from the institution to the University of Fredericton;
- A current resume outlining current responsibilities, awards, and career accomplishments;
- Two strong academic and/or business letters of recommendation from current or past managers or supervisors indicating the applicants likelihood of success in an Executive MBA program;*
- If applicable, verifiable record(s) of professional qualification exams, professional development courses, official transcripts from all study-abroad courses, and/or certified English translated transcript records;
- If applicable, verifiable record of English proficiency test score;
- If required, an official GMAT score report.**
*If an applicant is receiving tuition support from his/her employer, one of the letters of recommendation must come from the appropriate office of human resource management, personnel management, or the chief administrative officer. In all cases, please note that letters from co-workers and friends are not acceptable.
**At the discretion of the Application Review Committee and/or the Dean of the Sandermoen School of Business, an individual may be required to take the GMAT examination before final determination of his/her admission status. If a GMAT is requested, we would prefer to see a GMAT score greater than 550, with balanced quantitative and verbal scores.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The Admissions Committee reviews each MBA program applicant’s academic and work history. Individuals wishing to be admitted to the MBA program must present the following minimum admission requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized and accredited university with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 grade scale;
- One or more years of full-time work experience. (Requirement may be waived on the recommendation of the Admissions Review Committee. One year practicum graduation requirement may be substituted for the work experience.);
- Resume package outlining current responsibilities, awards, career accomplishments and reasons for applying to the MBA program, Click here to view an example;
- Two strong academic and/or business letters from past or present managers or supervisors indicating the applicant’s likelihood of success in an MBA program.
Note: An English proficiency examination may be required if the student’s undergraduate degree was not delivered in English. A score of 550 or better on the TOEFL test (213 for computer based test), score of 6.5 on the IELTS.
In addition (if necessary) an individual (or applicant) may be required to take the GMAT examination. This requirement will only apply to individuals (applicants) deemed marginally qualified by the Admissions Committee. Applicants who fulfill all other university entrance requirements without marginal conditions are not required to undertake the GMAT. Multiple criteria are used to make admission decisions. Individuals will be notified if taking the GMAT will be necessary before program admission is allowed. If a GMAT is requested, we would prefer to see a GMAT score greater than 550, with balanced quantitative and verbal scores.
International applicants must be qualified for university or college admission in their home countries. Transcripts must show a superior performance on the basis of the country’s grading scheme. All records in a foreign language must include copies of the originals accompanied by certified English translations.
Exemption from the TOEFL Requirement
An EMBA or MBA applicant may be exempted from the TOEFL requirement if at least one of the following conditions applies. An applicant must have:
- The applicant has obtained an undergraduate degree from an English-language University;
- The applicant has studied in an English-speaking country for at least five years;
- The applicant has scored high on a well-known standardized English test;
- The applicant has successfully completed a well-known English language program;
- The applicant has scored a minimum grade of B on the Challenge Test (Placement test may be recommended preceding the challenge test at the discretion of the Admissions Review Committee).
Admission to the Diploma-to-Degree program requires:
- A two-year diploma in Business or Criminal Justice from a Canadian Public Community College, with a minimum grade point average of 2.0;
- Application for Admission at Husson University (available online) including a $40 application fee;
- A copy of an official transcript sent directly from the college granting your diploma to Husson University:
Site Director, Northern Maine, Division of Extended Learning
33 Edgemont Drive
Presque Isle, ME 04769
Students will also be required to complete the “Education Testing Service Major Field Test” for statistical purposes only. This test will not affect a student’s admission into the program.